01 Jul Preseason Scouting Notes: Aidan Hutchinson, EDGE, Michigan
Junior | 6’5 278 lbs | Plymouth, MI | Sep 19, 1999
Needs to work on his run defending consistency as a defensive lineman, but showcases efficient hand usage, a good bull rush and a promising swim move to succeed at the next level
In his first year as a starter on Michigan’s defensive line, Aidan Hutchinson became one of their most productive defensive lineman. He finished his sophomore campaign starting all 13 games while posting 68 total tackles, including 10.5 TFLs and 4.5 sacks. He primarily lined up as a strong side 5-technique for Michigan’s defensive coordinator Don Brown’s 4-3 base defense, but showed the versatility to play any technique along the defensive line.
– Good block shed ability on run plays
– Bull rush overwhelms tight ends and offensive lineman with an insufficient anchor
– Quick and efficient hand usage
– Maintains responsibility in run fits
– Effective with his push and pull move
– Has the versatility to play move up and down the DL
– Shows a polished swim move
– Plays with good leverage while rushing the passer
– High motor player
Areas to improve:
– Play strength is limited
– Consistently tries to use spin move, but doesn’t get production from it
– Needs to add more pass rush moves to his arsenal and refine the ones currently in it
– Has to showcase a clear pass rush plan on a higher number of snaps
Hutchinson profiles as an ideal 5-technique in a 4-3 base scheme. He most likely will start out as a 1st and 2nd down run defender – as long as he adds play strength – at the next level. If he can become more consistent with his swim move and bull rush, he should be a three down starter by his second season while kicking inside to the 3-technique or the 4i- spot on pass rushing downs. . If his run defending consistency improves, barring a significant injury, Hutchinson should hear his name called on the first or second night of the NFL draft.
What to watch in 2020:
Will Hutchinson put in the work to become a more consistent run defender? Already having very good and efficient hand usage, if he does expand his pass rushing repertoire he will become a high level strong side edge defender and interior pass rusher on 3rd downs at the next level. To become an overall versatile defensive line force, he’ll need to work on adding more pass rush moves and become a more consistent run stuffer next year. Due to his versatility, and depending on if he can add more pass rush moves to his game, Hutchinson has a puncher’s chance at coming off the board on the first night of the draft.
- Former Sports Info Solutions Football Video Scout.
- Graduated from Montclair State University in 2019, with a Bachelors Degree in Economics.
- Huge Colts and NFL Draft fan.